Let’s cut to the chase. Yes, the Pocophone F1 is a flagship killer for a specific type of preference. Those preferences would include gaming performance, hardware, and price. If your options belong to that set of preference, then this is your flagship killer.
If you are looking for a superb camera that can produce epic images, this is not your flagship killer. This smartphone from Xiaomi does not deliver amazing image output. But this does not mean that Pocophone is bad on the camera department. If anything, Poco’s camera can deliver an average to great images. Actually, it can deliver 4K video quality just as good as Vivo and Oppo’s high-end smartphones.
Pocophone F1 Specs:
For those of you who are interested in learning about Pocophone F1’s hardware specification, here it is:
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 (Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- Adreno 630 GPU
- 18” IPS LCD screen at 1080p
- 256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 64/128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- 12 MP, f/1.9, 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, dual pixel PDAF, 5 MP, f/2.0, 1.12µm, depth sensor rear camera
- 20 MP, f/2.0, 0.9µm front facing camera
- MIUI 9.6 based on Android 8.1 Oreo
- 4,000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0
- With headphone jack
- USB Type-C
- Hybrid Dual SIMImage from MKBHD YouTube channel
Pocophone F1 Short Review
Researching through various user’s review and looking for some flaws about this Pocophone F1, I realized that this is what a typical user had been waiting for. This is a smartphone that can deliver on raw performance but does not grave a hole in your pocket.
It is as powerful as the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 or the iPhone X, but it is also as cheap as a budget smartphone. Not to mention that Pocophone F1 boasts the water-cooling feature to avoid power throttling. So if you are looking to save big time on your budget, but would love to have a reliable and impressive smartphone, this is your best choice.
Sure, it has some flaws as well. I never said it is perfect. The body is made out of plastic. The display is in LCD but so is the majority of smartphones. There is no IP68 water-resistant feature. There is no wireless charging capacity. And there is that notch. But hey, the iPhone has it, and they still sell.
The camera is alright. It is far from perfect, but it is also far from being bad. In fact, I can say confidently that Pocophone F1 camera deserves more than just the $300 price tag. I could put its level to that of OnePlus 6 or that of Xiaomi Note 5 Pro.
The Face Unlock feature is pretty impressive as well. A lot of users have expressed some positive feedback about its speed and ability to function even in a low light environment. The fingerprint lock function is also lightning fast.
Finally, the 4,000mAh battery is a great addition because a lot of people stay longer on using their smartphone more than ever. And having that extra juice gives it the edge over other flagship smartphones as well. Add that to its Quick charge 3.0 feature and you can game all day long.
Some Reported Issues on Pocophone F1
As mentioned earlier, Pocophone F1 is far from being a competitive match to giant flagship smartphone models. Xiaomi had cut some corners to make the $300 price tag possible. We have listed some of the reported issues that were encountered by some users using this phone. See if these issues are deal breakers for you.
- LCD screen light bleeding on some early users.
- Few reports on battery life not as great as expected from the 4,000mAh battery.
- Some reports that the display suffers from some random ghost touch (could be isolated cases).
- Cannot view Netflix in its highest resolution (Xiaomi already announced that this will be fixed in the next update).
- The audio sound on PUBG when using the headphone is low (Xiaomi promised to fix this also).
- The “OK Google” sometimes do not respond.
- Some frame drops on popular online games such as Mobile Legends (fixable on future software update).
I will recommend that you should consider buying this smartphone. If you are short on budget but would be delighted to play PUBG or any other demanding games on your smartphone, this phone is perfect for you. Beyond all its flaws, do not forget that you paid for a $300 smartphone. And that is way cheaper for the value that you got considering what it can offer to your daily mobile activities.
Here’s more Pocophone impressions and reviews:
Learn how to download YouTube videos for FREE!!!